This time of year, it’s all about the pumpkins, the yams, the pecans, and the cranberries– all of which are not only delicious, but when applied to skin come with a host of benefits. Celebrate the aromas of the season (and perhaps find a great hostess gift in the process) with these Thanksgiving Beauty Treats.
1. Pangea Organics Egyptian Geranium with Adzuki Bean & Cranberry Facial Scrub, $32. This scrub is formulated with cranberries which are rich in Vitamin A and caroteinoids which give the berries their antioxidant properties and help rejuvenate skin. Cranberries also have high levels of Vitamin C, helping with collagen production and prevention of signs of aging.
2. Lancome Absolue Ultimate Bx Serum, $135. This serum is formulated with yams, which contain unique root storage proteins known for their antioxidant and healing properties. Yams are also rich in Vitamin A and C which help fight free radicals and inflammation.
3. DIY Body Scrub. For a quick, easy, and cheap way to incorporate one of this season’s main ingredients, break out a small saucepan and mix and heat 2 ounces of apricot-kernel oil, 1 ounce of sunflower oil, and 1 ounce of jojoba oil. Then, turn off the heat and stir in 1 ounce of cornmeal, 1.5 teaspoons of fine sugar, and 1 tablespoon of finely ground pecans. Wait for the mixture to cool down and apply it all over your face and body for a few minutes (preferably in the shower). Rinse off. You can, as an option, add in a drop of vanilla or lavender pre-application for aromatherapy purposes. This pecan-based mixture will not only rejuvenate and plump your skin, it will help rid you of dead skin cells.
4. Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Peel, $44. Pumpkin is one of the season’s best ingredients because it helps treat dry skin, a major battle this time of year. Look for products formulated with pumpkin or pumpkin extract any time your skin is seriously dehydrated and in need of a quick boost. Pumpkin masks are the best option to maximize the effects of this powerful ingredient and they’ll also help treat breakouts and reduce inflammation.
5. Yes to Carrots Pampering Carrot Juice Shampoo and Yes to Carrots Pampering Hair Mud Conditioner, $8.99 each. Carrot juice is known for its ability to repair skin tissue (it’s often used when treating wounds and cuts), and it’s full of Vitamin A, minerals, and antioxidants, all of which are essential to skin health. Carrot juice is also known for its capability to act as an anti-inflammatory, promote skin renewal, and protect the skin from sun damage.