Spring is here, and so are the rain showers typical of the season. But don’t fret, because the trench coat is the perfect solution to shield you from the wet weather. The trench coat was originally developed as a windbreaker by Thomas Burberry for soldiers in the First World War. A typical trench coat during that time was a ten-button, double-breasted long coat in tan, khaki, beige, or black fabric, with a belt.
We’ve come a long way since then, but the trench coat has not changed very much. It’s proven itself to be a classic piece that never goes out of style.
If you don’t already have one, go get one. Here are some tips for choosing the perfect trench:
* Invest in a high quality trench you can wear year-round. You can never go wrong with the classic trench. Try this one by Ralph Lauren.
* Look for a trench with classic lines, tailored cut with a slight A-line shape.
* Determine which length suits you best, longer for a dressier look, or just above the knee for a more casual style.
* Avoid a trench that is too big, since it may look sloppy instead of polished.
* Pick a color that will work with what you already have in your wardrobe – like neutrals – or choose a vibrant color to make a bold statement. This Elie Tahari trench is particularly fitting for spring.
Whether you choose one of our recommendations, or find your own perfect trench, you can’t go wrong with this classic purchase. Happy hunting from the trenches!